Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The weakness of “Lone Ranger” evangelism


I am increasingly convinced that Jesus knew what he was doing when he sent his disciples out “two by two” into the towns and villages of Israel (Luke 10). A team of two is far more effective than a solitary Christian.

One of my hopes in joining the local branch of the Manchester City Supporters Club was that I would have some opportunities to share my faith with the people I meet week by week. Up to now it has not been as easy as I had hoped, and I want to note a few observations.

I have been welcomed and accepted by the people at the club and I am there as a presence. My faith is the occasional subject of some light hearted banter, but I have not found many natural opportunities to talk about Jesus and the important aspects of faith in him. I am sure though that it would be easier for such conversations to arise if there was another Christian with me. Two Christians can model community in a way that one alone cannot.

I am sure that a lot of prayer happened while the disciples of Jesus walked to the village they visited. It is easier to be faithful in prayer as part of a team. Another believer mixing with the same group of people would be an encouragement to me and vice versa. We could pray together for kingdom opportunities and help one another to stay close to the Lord in this very godless environment. We could pray for discernment of where the Holy Spirit has gone before us and give one another courage in following up such opportunities. We could pray for the people we meet that their spiritual hunger would grow.

Please pray with me that the Lord will send another worker into the harvest field of the Bredbury Blues.

3 comments:

J. Guy Muse said...

I'm working on a post for later this week on this subject as well. One observation to add to your going out in pairs (Luke 10), is to not only go out two by two, but to have has your object not to evangelize, but to find the "person of peace". It is the POP that we begin to serve, minister to, and yes, eventually proclaim the Gospel. Not everyone is a POP. God lead us to them knowing that out of these key individuals there will be others to follow as well.

BTW, did you ever receive the letter (and translation) I sent you from Pedro? Just wondering, it should have arrived by now.

Lou Davis said...

I pray you'll find another blues fan to join you. It does help having another person with a similar outlook.

Whenever I've joined anything thinking 'this will be a good opportunity for evangelism' I've just ended up chatting with other Christians about the churches we go to!

Ross Garner said...

Thanks Guy for your message. I have already spotted two "persons of peace" and this is good. Over the summer I heard a talk about the Luke 10 way of evangelism which made the point that one way to identify the person of peace is that they are the one who wants to serve us.