Tuesday, June 20, 2006

To the pub


When Nick came to work with me in Bredbury two years ago we decided to lead the Church into a more missional phase of its life. Our plan was to become a "Mission-Shaped Church" or to do some mission knowing that it would shape the church.

In addition to the Church initiatives, we made a pact, to get out and meet people and to lead by example. We agreed that each of us would pursue a hobby which would allow us to make friends with normal people who don't come to church.

For several months this was just good intentions. Then last summer I actually took myself down to the local branch of the Manchester City FC Supporters Club. Since August last year I have been going to games at the City of Manchester stadium and drinking beer with the lads in the Conservative CLub where we have been meeting before the match.

Recently we changed venues so we now meet in The Crown which has lots of big TV screens. So tonight I'll be there in my England shirt cheering on our boys in Cologne.

No doubt my pal, Holy Spirit will be there too. We will be alert for any Kingdom opportunities as we enjoy being the church in the midst of the people.

No comments: