Friday, September 08, 2006

Starfish


A Parable of the Kingdom

I heard a story once about a man who was walking along a beach where thousands of starfish had been washed ashore by a storm. The man saw a little boy who was picking up the starfishes one by one and throwing them back into the sea.

"What is the point of doing that?" the man asked, "What difference will it make anyway?"

Holding up one of the starfish the little boy replied, "I can't save them all, but I can make a difference to this one." With that he threw the starfish back into the sea.

Making a difference

I am not able to save the world, but I can make a difference to a few. This week I am praising God for the opportunities I have had this week to share the Good News - with families bringing children for Baptism, with a lady who came to church for the first time a couple of weeks ago, with a cyclist on the towpath whose wife has cancer.

Good News for the Lost Sheep

I already have two people signed up for the next Alpha course and we are hoping for a good crowd at Back to Church Sunday on 24th September. Although this is overtly attractional church (see earlier discussions) it could result in a few more workers in the harvest field, so it is worth doing.

Making Disciples

I now have the dates of the huddles sorted out for the Autumn with 18 people in three groups ready to begin honing their own walk with the Lord and their disciple-making skills. One group starts on Wednesday 13th. The others will meet on Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ross!
I would just like to remind you of two starfish you threw into the sea last year! You did make a difference to Robin and I and our lives have changed so much for the better with the love of God - something that you personally taught us. When you are feeling that you are not 'saving' enough just remember that it meant something for at least us two, (three with Connor!).
God Bless,
Joanne - now in Aberdeenshire, x

Ross Garner said...

Hi Joanne

Thank you for your encouraging comments. Please pray for us this week as we start the next Alpha with the latest batch of starfish who have been washed up at St.Mark's!

I hope you and Robin have managed to connect with a few Christians locally. Keep praying and do organise a worship time at home if there is nowhere suitable to go to.

If you want to organise an Alpha in your district I can give you lots of advice about how to get started. I could even support you by email with responses to questions where you and Robin don't yet know the answers!