Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Event Horizon


I recently heard Chris Neal of CMS describe the institutional Church as a black hole which pulls us into its gravitational field. How, I wonder, can I move into a new way of working when I crossed the “event horizon” some 16 years ago?

As vicar of St. Mark’s I do not want to abdicate responsibility for the well-being of the existing church community who have faithfully maintained a local Christian presence for many years. But I fundamentally believe that if this church is to be a more authentic witness it needs to radically change. Part of this change (I believe) is that it needs indigenous leadership who will rise up and tackle the challenges that face the community.

The tension that I am feeling is that there is such a legacy of clericalism that the church members expect me to lead everything, while I feel that if the church is to grow up they need to tackle some of these issues themselves. The problem is … I have helped to perpetuate the dependency culture.

In particular, I am aware that our Victorian building needs a dedicated team of people who will do what is needed to maintain it and keep it safe. During my first few years here I led a project to repair the clock, and to point the East end of the church. Next I worked with a team of people to have floodlighting installed, but in the end I had to take the lead to make it happen before the deadline. Other projects where I had to take a leading role were the reordering of the church “Welcome Zone” and the resurfacing of the car park.

At the moment I am conscious of various things that need leadership, but I am not hearing God tell me to do it. I believe that I just need to draw these to the attention of the worshipping community and ask who is going to step forward? What are these things?

The Friends
The church has insufficient income to pay all the bills, so last year we set up an organisation called the Friends of St.Mark’s Church. The idea is to find 100+ people who will give £10 monthly towards the upkeep and insurance. We have about 5 members so far. This needs promoting. Someone needs to do a mailing to all the people in our database of pastoral contacts (baptisms, weddings, funerals) who might be responsive. Members of the church need to persuade their families and friends to join.

The Database
The database is only partially completed and no-one yet knows how to print out labels.

The Clock
It is some years since the chimes stopped working. The dials need repainting.

The Stonework
Last year two large slabs of stone fell off the church tower. How do we know if the rest is safe and secure? Who is going to do something about it? Who is going to fill in the English Heritage Grant application forms?

The Treasurer
For most of the last 5 years I have been acting as Treasurer or helping the Treasurer to use the spreadsheet that I designed to keep track of the Church accounts. Just before Christmas our Treasurer went abroad and so once again I am acting Treasurer. I am setting up a new double entry book-keeping system and training a volunteer book-keeper. All we need now is someone who understands accounting to become the Treasurer.

Meanwhile ... what about the mission to the Gentiles?

Well there some folk at St. Mark's who are catching the vision and are eager to be part of the outreach. I hope to gather some of them together soon to explore what training we need. I am conscious that we must have a clear idea of how to disciple people without asking them to come to church. What do we say? How do we say it? How do we encourage them to read the bible in a non-book culture? We also need to be sure that we are free to spend enough time with the people of peace. I know that this will be costly. It will require a change of lifestyle for us. Will we have the stamina and persistance to keep going back to spend time eating and drinking with them? I hope so.

2 comments:

Ross Garner said...

I post a comment on my own blog. How sad is that? I have just been lurking on a few other blogs and found this

http://www.simplice.net/en/artigo.php?cat=&id=623

Am I jumping to the Anglican tune when I should be seeking financial independence so I can devote my time and energy to multiple church planting?

J. Guy Muse said...

Being part of both worlds is something all of us must try to keep in balance. One of our leaders shared with us the 80/20 principle that applies to many areas of our life. Basically 80% of my time/energy will be given to new work and that which is bearing fruit. 20% for maintenance/upkeep and keeping the machinery going. What happens in our case is that these two figures are reversed and we find ourselves giving 80% to upkeep and maintenance and only 20% to where we feel the Lord would have us focus "to the Gentiles". I too know of so many areas going neglected because I personally am not there to take care of them. I am trying sooooo hard to stay away and let someone else step in to care for these situations, but as you say, people call on me to take care of all these urgent matters and I find myself drawn away from the "important" to take care of the "urgent!"