Monday, March 27, 2006

"Come to Us" Mission

I was treated to an amazing lunch yesterday by a wonderful gregarious chap who is Vicar of Stockport. The guest of honour was Canon Ian Watson who is head of ICS (The Intercontinental Church Society) one of the Anglican Mission agencies.

My overall impression is that ICS is doing some very good missionary work in planting churches of the "come to us" model. The hierarchy believe in the principle that these churches should become self-supporting even if it takes a while for the members to catch this idea.

I suspect that for all the good work that is happening the ICS chaplains are still thinking "inside the box". The box just happens to be in a different country.

4 comments:

Lou Davis said...

Hello,

nice blog, it's good to hear from a local lad (I'm in Stockport too)

I was wondering... what do you imagine non-come-to-us christianity looks like?

It's a question I've been asking myself recently, I don't think I have any answers yet though!

Ross Garner said...

My thoughts are along the lines of "simple" church. try the following links.

http://www.simplechurch.co.uk/

http://www.house2house.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

http://guymuse.blogspot.com/2006/03/those-questionable-churches-being.html

Lou Davis said...

Hi Ross,

I don't know if you're free on thursday evening, but if you are would you fancy a trip to heald green?

I'm hosting a meal and a chance to discuss some of these questions with people, mainly from the methodist church I go to, but also some from other churches and some who've dropped out of church altogether. We've got a fairly loose agenda, but we do want to talk about cell groups and about mission.

Ross Garner said...

Hi Lou

I would love to meet up with you and your friends sometime.. but I am committed on Thursday evening - we are hosting a conference at the weekend and the speakers are dining with us on Thursday.

I would love to chat with you about cell groups and mission. One of my hats is being the Chair of the Greater Manchester Cell Church Forum. My email address is revrossgarner@hotmail.com