Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Physician Heal Thyself

I am poorly, and it is so hard to pray for yourself when you are ill.

I started with an excruiating sore throat on Saturday, struggled through an awesome baptism service on Sunday and more teaching about the healing ministry on Sunday night. I had prayer from my wife Jane on Saturday, from many people before and after both services on Sunday. I hope they are not too discouraged.

Ironically the theme was our belief that the bible suggests that Jesus always wants to heal those who come to him for healing. He never refused anyone except the Syro-Phoenician "dog" - but the Father put him straight on that occasion and he healed the woman's child when she showed that she had faith (who would have thought that even Jesus was influenced by the prejudice of his day against the Gentiles!).

I do not know why I am not yet healed. I take some small comfort from the fact that John Wimber taught about healing for months before anyone was actually healed. Meanwhile, nothing is wasted. The devil's attack on my health is assisting with my character development in the areas of patience, humility and faith.

I believe that I could have learned these virtues through other means so I do not believe that I am afflicted by God. This is the work of the kingdom of darkness, not some dubious underhand work of God.

2 comments:

Simple Social Worker said...

amen! I agree with you for your complete recovery.
We have just fought against a cold as a family this past w/e too. it took longer than usual to chase it out but it did leave eventually! Pesky things.

J. Guy Muse said...

I must have caught my sore throat and cold from you, Ross! We were out at a camp this past weekend and completely lost my voice. I was supposed to teach on Saturday morning, but felt unable to do so. As it turned out, God had everything under control and the others teaching with me did a super job, showing me once again that I am not as indispensable as I so often think I am! God truly used my illness to keep me quiet and allow Him to do so many neat things that might not have been done had I been "full strength." Even as I write I am blowing my nose, but God is in control and able to work through my weakness!